September 22, 2011

20 years

Yesterday marked the 20 year anniversary of my mother's passing. In the past this day has caused me to fall into a depression. The enormity of her absence in my life and failure to have her in the most precious of life's moments and memories is devastating to my spirit.

This year I choose not to remember the time and memories lost but to focus on all the memories with her I did have.

I remembered the way she and my father used to dance at weddings. The way she decorated our house at Christmas.

How every Friday she made a special dinner for our family and we all gathered around her dinner table to laugh and enjoy our family.

Her pink curlers in her hair and the smell of nail polish. Her love of roses and hummingbirds, elephants, and owls.

I miss my mom everyday. I think of my mom everyday, and even though she has been out of my life longer than she was in it. 20 years does nothing to ease the pain.

No comments:

Post a Comment